Saturday, October 2, 2010

Anjana Anjaani, Hello there GORGEOUS STRANGER!


For the first ten minutes, I was lost with the stock market debacle. Not that I get anything of the stock markets, however, I was sure that those ten minutes could have had some substance. It did have a moral though - that when people lose money in the stock market and you are the cause to it, you become suicidal. And so Ranbir goes to jump off a bridge where he meets Kiara; who is ready to jump down herself - however she gives us a good laugh for a couple of minutes before that. 

 There is another 10 minutes of forced comic disaster. Actually, you laugh because its really very stupid and funny to imagine how both of them end up in the same hospital, bump into one another, walk out in scrubs and how Kiara refuses not to walk ahead of Ranbir who in her opinion wants to peek-a-boo in her panties! And then Kiara goes mad and talks about "signs" and I am touching my forehead calling out "Oh, My God! Could this be any more lame?". However, this is the end of most of the movie disaster and fun begins. Though, please note, you do laugh a bit through this piece of time.

The comic timing which was 'w-t-f' then finds a new originality. Kiara and Ranbir keep you laughing for most times. This is when life happens. Two strangers meet, they bond, get to know each other and especially when they are "suicidal" - they want to live the days of their life before they kill themselves. Even when you have no money, you have time to do whatever in the world you wish to do. And the most important, you have absolutely gorgeous company to do it (only, they realize it much later).

The movie has very original lines that bring you laughter. Honestly, I cannot exemplify this humor in words - it has to be watched and enjoyed live. Onscreen, both are a gorgeous couple. In my personal view, I dont think either of them is beautiful; I kept thinking there's something wrong with Priyanka's nose all throughout the movie. However she oozes the oomph throughout the movie-hours and you love this sassy girl. Her humor makes her sexy, endearing and fun. Ranbir on the other hand brings the character "I am a good guy at heart" very alive. Every movie that has this earthyness about him, has give a hit. He becomes the almost perfect guy, one would want to spend their life with. *APKGK, WUS - absolute hits*. His Rocket Singh was equally touching. He plays his character very convincingly and is intense, making him brilliant at what he does. Both of them have star qualities, and this is one movie, where you wont complain if the stars are acting. The coupling grows on you engage in your movie time.

There is a scene, where Kiara is beautifying her eyes with a liner and the camera brings seminaked Ranbir in the background. With poise and passion, she walks upto him, rubs the foam off his lip and naughtily clarifies that she wouldnt mind going out with him without his shirt. This is the "moment" in the movie and one good reason to watch it on the big screen. One of the most silent, passionate scenes I have seen in a long time. Its speaks all "make-love"  without the actual "love-making". Ranbir's raunchy nipples and a quarter of Priyanka's visible breasts just adds to the sauna-steam effect. And this is the 'moment' why you will forgive director Siddharth Anand, for the first lame 20 minutes.

Kiara has a history too. Past childhood love affair gone bad, something that she cant get over. While this late evening, she stands stunning in red, the next morning you will find her weeping over her ex. In all honesty, that is how ex love-affairs are for some people and therefore I was sold with the next morning situation. People take their own time to get over ex(s). Some may be never do. But when you do, I believe, its a snap reaction - Like flipping a coin from tails to head. And you would never flip back to the same love-emotion again. For you, its over in one snap judgement. I recommend watching "CLOSER" to all the movie lovers and you will know what I mean. Towards the end of this movie, Natalie Portman tells Jude Law "I am not in love with you anymore". Jude: "Since when?". Natalie: "Since this moment". And that is the most powerful scene in that movie. For every person I may know or not, please feel free to comment on "Does getting over an ex happen in one snap judgement and that one judgement can take x days, months or years?"

Now, into AA, say after 3/4th amount of fun-time, there is some blah blah story that moves on and in the end, the lovers meet again. And then there is the drama of the "engagement ring" and "proposal". Honestly, I have never been impressed with the most of the proposals that happen in movies and "cheesy" is the right term for them. I mean, the airplane-smoke script, or ring in some fancy foods being served and then people around clapping and "awwwwing" - What is it? A circus or a proposal? Seriously, I wish to know who enjoys this and why? I am sure there are good reasons, so please do help me understand what is this joy? May be there is something I will learn. 

As I was talking about "moments" before, here's my best proposal one. From one of my top 3 favorites, Notting Hill. The guy, doesnt even propose to Anna (Julia Roberts). She asks her manager, to ask a reporter to repeat an already asked question again. And for me as an audience, the movie is only progressing. Nothing extra-ordinary happening. And then the reporter asks Anna "So Anna, how long do you stay in the UK then?" Anna takes a pause, looks at Hugh Grant and says "Indefinitely". And within the next 5 seconds, the entire British Press gets that she has fallen in love with the doe-y eyed Hugh Grant. And cameras go flash-flash-flash and Julia has the twinkle in her eye. She smiles, subtly and then broadly. And smiles some more. And there are only flashing cameras followed by a song which ends in a pregnant-bump. I mean how outstanding is that "commitment" or "proposal" that conforms to only one word "indefinitely" with some bright and shiny smiles and a lot of camera flashes. It says everything and that is the "magic" some brilliant directors showcase in their work. Its not about thegheesa-petta dialogues or the ring, its that one extra-ordinary moment of joy where you decide to commit your life to someone and what diamonds can really buy that?. Ofcourse, Julia is Julia, and may be she can pull off a scene in one word. However, if Roger Michael can give us such impressive powerful magic - I wonder why dont a lot of others atleast attempt to do something different? Or does the conventional ring/marry me/people applauding drama sell? Ofcourse, "Speak less, say more" is not everyone's gift. I hear, Warren Buffet, sent one letter an year to all the CEOs of his company and that was the business conversation he had with most of them. Wow!

Back to AA, towards the end you will notice when Kiara is kissing Ranbir, its almost like she is feasting on her yummiest dish. Cant blame her * You should see the size of both their lips * :). There was a 2-minute wisdom talk by Tanvi Azamee on suicides, which sent a strong profound message on the importance of life. I keep referring to Ranbir by his name, because I really do not remember what his name in the movie was! I enjoyed the movie, especially after a very long and active day at work. I caught up with the 11:20 p.m. show and I was happy to watch some eye-candy onscreen. Later in the wee hours of morning, I found myself singing to one the songs in the movie. And I dont sing, seriously. So obviously, songs are very peppy. I would give it a 3/5 and believe the movie will be a much above average hit. May potentially make more money through word of mouth!

p.s. There was this v annoying bunch of 5 women and 2 middle aged men who kept laughing more than required during the movie. I think there should be a code of conduct in movie-halls ;).

1 comment:

  1. I'm ready to watch this movie....I don't like PC, but will do anything for RK.
    Your thought on proposals is refined...the Indian audience has been conditioned with the same style year in and year out....so something as refreshing and simple as Notting Hill...is not only welcome it also opens your mind to the endless possibilities in being 'simple yet creative'!!
    Bhagvaan knows then we will have a movie with such simple refinement...
    Till then let us feast on what comes our way.

    Your review ROCKS !! Jeevan

    ReplyDelete